Medical Missions provide unique service opportunities for those with backgrounds in physical and occupational therapy.
Physical therapists (PTs) and occupational therapists (OTs) play a pivotal role in the sustainable distribution of wheelchairs by providing training to our Distribution Partners on proper wheelchair distribution, fit and use.
Ideal candidates for Medical Missions are those who have a passion for providing mobility and who are willing to travel internationally to apply their medical knowledge.
The expertise of PTs and OTs is fundamental to our distribution initiative. We aim to distribute the maximum number of wheelchairs possible while providing our recipients with the tools and knowledge to foster their continued progress in the days after they have received their wheelchair.
Volunteers who embark on Medical Missions make this ambition a reality.
Medical Missions participants provide instruction on wheelchair assembly, maintenance and fitting, as well as identifying the various causes and manifestations of disability. Additionally, missions participants provide training on wheelchair use, transfers, exercises and proper pressure relief techniques.
• All participants must be professionally certified in Physical Therapy (PT) or Occupational Therapy (OT) in order to be considered for the trip and must either be currently employed as a PT/OT or have retired within two years of applying.
• Prior to a trip, a two-day training is required for all participants to learn proper wheelchair assembly and the training curriculum. This mandatory training takes place at FWM headquarters in Irvine, CA.
• PT/OTs must be able to complete an international Medical Mission within one year of receiving the two-day HQ training.
• Participants must be able to cover costs associated with domestic travel for pre-trip training as well as travel to and within the destination country. International costs range from $2,000-$4,000 USD.
• PT/OTs must be available for trips lasting up to 7 days, which are scheduled around our Distribution Partners’ availability.
Medical Mission Trip Calendar
There are currently no scheduled trips. Information will be posted as trips are scheduled.